Delphi previously called Pytho (Πυθώ), in ancient times was a sacred precinct that served as the seat of Pythia, the major oracle who was consulted about important decisions throughout the ancient classical world. The ancient Greeks considered the centre of the world to be in Delphi, marked by the stone monument known as the omphalos (navel). Delphi took its name from the Delphyne, the she-serpent (drakaina) who lived there and was killed by the god Apollo.
Since 1938 a part of Parnassos National Park, it is an extensive archaeological site. The precinct is recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.